Welcome to our little bit of knitterly Heaven- I'm so glad you found your way here!
Our goal is to teach beginning knitters some tricks of the trade as well as to work enough swatches to have a finished afghan by the end of the year! Join along with us as we learn about patterns, cables, lace, and some other handy techniques! A new pattern will become available each month ranging from newbie to adventurous. So stop on by, pick your pattern and knit along with us!

All patterns can be found here as well as on Ravelry.com!

Monday, October 1, 2012

31 Days At The Table: Day 1

Hello all and welcome to my 31 Day Challenge: 31 Days At The Table!  I hope you are looking forward to this challenge as much as I am.  For the next 31 days, my family is going to try to only eat homemade, healthy and mindfully prepared meals.  Nothing from a box and no fast food!  A handful of the recipes I will be sharing aren't mine, so when that's the case I'll be sure to share where I found the recipe as well as whatever changes we made and the family's response to the meal.  I've come up with a theme for each day so you'll kind-of know what to expect, and so I won't get too overwhelmed with sharing all of our meals.  I'll also link over to the meals I prepared last year so you can take a look at those if you'd like!


Mondays: Meatless- Finding healthy meatless options.
Tuesdays: Crock Pot- Fix it and Forget it!
Wednesdays: Soups- The best reason for cold weather.
Thursdays: Quick and Easy- On the table in 30 minutes or less!
Friday: Fish and Seafood
Saturday: Breakfasts- The most important meal of the day!
Sunday: Family Feasts- Designed to please a crowd.

So, without further ado... welcome to 31 Days At The Table!

South West Black Bean Pasta
Ingredients...
1T extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 orange or red bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1t cumin
1t dried oregano
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
15 ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 pound pasta- I used whole wheat linguini
Optional Garnishes: lime wedge, cilantro, cheddar cheese, sour cream

Directions...
In a dutch oven or other deep sided skillet, heat olive oil.  Add onion and sautee until they start to becomes translucent (about 5 minutes).
Add peppers and continue cooking until they begin to soften (about 2 to 3 minutes).
Add garlic and spices, cook until fragrant (about a minute).
Stir in beans and tomato sauce.  Simmer sauce while preparing pasta according to package directions. Top prepared pasta with sauce, and garnish with toppings of your choice.

Notes...
This was a fantastic no-meat option that the whole family enjoyed.  It would serve four adults, or if you're feeding kids with smaller appetites, up to six people.  I felt the cumin was a bit heavy handed though.  I really think cumin one of those spices where a little goes a long way.  Next time I'd use only about 1/2 teaspoon instead.  The kids loved it though, and that's all I can ask for.   
Happy cooking and see you tomorrow!
~Lindsey

One Year Ago...
Cheesy Chicken Casserole


No comments:

Post a Comment