Welcome to our little bit of knitterly Heaven- I'm so glad you found your way here!
Our goal is to teach beginning knitters some tricks of the trade as well as to work enough swatches to have a finished afghan by the end of the year! Join along with us as we learn about patterns, cables, lace, and some other handy techniques! A new pattern will become available each month ranging from newbie to adventurous. So stop on by, pick your pattern and knit along with us!

All patterns can be found here as well as on Ravelry.com!

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Fragments Clue 7

Hey there Knitters!  Welcome to Clue 7 of our Fragments KAL

For this clue, we're going to dabble in cables!  For those of you who have knit cables before, please be patient with this post- there are lots of pictures!  For those of you who have not knit cables before, good news- there are lots of pictures (see what I did there :)! 

I really love cables.  I believe when it comes to knitting, cables give you the most for your money.  They really aren't that difficult (once you've broken the pieces down), have infinite possibilities (there are gazillions of ways to cross stitches), and create a highly texturized and visually intriguing fabric.  You really can't miss!

Now, if you don't have a cable needle, you can make do with a double point at or near the same size as the knitting needles you're using (it's kinda crazy how often I've done this, since most of my knitting supplies obviously have feet and love to go exploring through-out the house).   

Pattern Notes:  
C5- slip next 2 stitches to cable needle and hold to front of work.  Knit the next 3 stitches, then knit the 2 from the cable needle.

Photo Tutorial:
My photo tutorial shows the cable stitch exactly as you will knitting it for this pattern.  Please note however, that the swatch in the pictures is only a sample size and your knitting will look different.
Knit in pattern up to the C5 direction.
Slip 2 sts to cable needle...
...and hold the cable needle to the front of your work.
Knit 3 sts from left hand needle, then knit the 2 sts from the cable needle.
Continue in pattern for the remainder of the row.
All done!

Pattern:
Row 1: K3 *P2, K5* repeat across row K3
Row 2: K3 *P5, K2* repeat across row K3
Row 3: K3 *P2, C5, P2, K5, P2, C5* K3
Row 4: K3 *P5, K2* K3
Row 5: K3 *P2, K5* K3
Row 6: K3 *P5, K2* K3
Row 7: K3 *P2, K5, P2, C5, P2, K5* K3
Row 8: K3 *P5, K2* K3
Row 9: K3 *P2, K5* K3
Row 10: K3 *P5, K2* K3
Row 11: K3 *P2, K5* K3
Row 12: K3 *P5, K2* K3
Row 13: K3 *P2, C5, P2, K5, P2, C5* K3
Row 14: K3 *P5, K2* K3
Row 15: K3 *P2, K5* K3
Row 16: K3 *P5, K2* K3
Row 17: K3 *P2, K5* K3
Row 18: K3 *P5, K2* K3
Row 19: K3 *P2, K5, P2, C5, P2, K5* K3
Row 20: K3 *P5, K2* K3
Row 21: K3 *P2, K5* K3

Knit 3 rows.  During the third row, k2tog once near the center of the row in preparation for the next clue (47 sts).  

Good luck, and see you tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. I like cables too, can't wait to get started >j<

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how to cable and I still enjoy the photo tutorial! I also use DPN's instead of cable needle...like I've really never used a cable needle because I have a bazillion DPN's....I think they actually breed, but I can't prove it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean when it comes to cable needles! Although I hate to admit it, I've even used a pencil when push came to shove...

      Delete